Google has announced it partnership with Verve, the largest domestic debit/credit card issuance company in Africa, to make it easy for Nigerians to make use of their naira debit card to pay for Google services.
Initially, paying for Google’s products and services such as In-app purchases on Play Store, Gaming and buying of Google Domain was a challenge because of lack of payment methods. But now, thanks to collaboration with Verve, Nigerians can now make payment for Google’s services using their Verve naira debit card.
This development was announced by Google Today, July 26, 2023. According to the tech giant, using naira card to make payment on Google play store is aimed at enhancing digital ecosystem in Nigeria. Financially, this development is driving financial inclusions to the banking sector in Nigeria.
Google has clarified that it going to be processing the verve naira card transactions within Nigeria. “These transactions will be collected in Nigerian Naira, and treated as local transactions by the country’s banking institutions.”
Hence, any user with a verve naira debit/credit card can now utilize their smartphone to add the naira card on their Google Account to make payment on Play Store without any hassles.
According to Managing Director (MD) of Verve International, Vincent Ogbunude added to the statement and said the integration of verve card with Google Play Account is a significant stride towards achieving Verve’s vision of promoting financial inclusion.
Furthermore, the partnership is also aimed at bringing digital content and services nearer to Verve cardholders, hence bridging the digital and payment gaps between Google services and Nigerians – BDay report.
How to Add and Use Naira Card on Google Service
If you have verve naira card, you can add it to your Google account and make purchases on Play Store and other Google services and products. Here’s how to add your naira debit card to Google account.
- Launch Playstore on your smartphone.
- Go-to app you wish to purchase or make in-app purchases.
- Choose services e.g monthly subscription and amount.
- Choose “Add debit or credit card” and input your verve naira card details. E.g card numbers, expiration date and CVV.
- Visit pay.google.com on your web browser
- Login using your Google Account Email.
- Tap on ‘Add a Payment Method’
- Input your naira card details
- Save your information and head back to purchase page.
How to use:
- Once you’ve successfully added your naira card, go-to play store and finalize your payment.
- Tap on the product or service you want to purchase.
- Choose payment method. Select the naira card you added. You maybe required to name the card.
- You may need to receive otp code to authenticate your transactions.
- The money will be deducted in your bank account and your service will be processed immediately transaction is confirmed.
Paying for Google Services using Naira Card
Generally, accepted payment methods on Google Play Store includes credit/debit card from MasterCard, Visa card, Discover, American Express, Visa Electron, and Verve cards which are only available for use in Nigeria to buy apps, subscription and services Play store.
However, unsupported Google payment options includes wire transfers, bank transfers, western union (WU), money gram (MG), virtual credit cards (VCC), health savings account (HSA), transit cards and any escrow type of payment.
Lastly, recap that Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said that Nigerians are experiencing a dollar shortage due to the fall in oil prices, and this is why they had to restrict our FX transactions. But now, a new era has come and has made amendment to CBN policies on Foreign transaction limits, making ways for verve to partner with Google to make payment on Play store seamless.