Instagram has finally rolled out the ability to download public Reels globally. This feature was first announced in June 2023 and was initially available to users in the US. Now, anyone can download Reels from public accounts.
To download a Reel, simply tap the three dots in the bottom right corner of the video and then select “Download.” The Reel will be saved to your device’s camera roll.
This is a big change for Instagram, which has always been more restrictive about sharing content than its rival, TikTok. TikTok has always allowed users to download videos, and this has been a key factor in its success.
Instagram’s decision to allow downloads is likely a response to the growing popularity of TikTok. By allowing users to download Reels, Instagram is making it easier for people to share these videos outside of the app. This could also be a way for Instagram to attract more creators to the platform.
Creators who know that their Reels can be downloaded are more likely to share them on Instagram, which could help to increase engagement on the app.
Here are some of the benefits of being able to download Reels:
- You can watch Reels offline, even when you don’t have an internet connection.
- You can share Reels with friends and family who don’t have an Instagram account.
- You can use Reels in your own creative projects.
Here are some of the potential drawbacks of being able to download Reels:
- It could lead to copyright infringement, as people may not always credit the original creator when they share Reels.
- It could make it easier for people to spread misinformation, as they could edit Reels and share them without the original creator’s consent.
Overall, the ability to download Reels is a positive change for Instagram. It gives users more control over their content and could help to attract more creators to the platform. However, it is important to be aware of the potential drawbacks of this feature and to use it responsibly.