Upgrading to MTN 4G LTE Network
MTN, a major network operator in Nigeria, is gradually embracing the 4G LTE technology. If you’re interested in upgrading your MTN sim card to the 4G network, the process is straightforward. Many users in Nigeria and the African tech market still rely on 2G and 3G networks, but with advancements, network providers like MTN are introducing 4G services.
Here’s a guide on how to upgrade your MTN sim card to 4G:
1. Check Phone Compatibility:
Ensure your phone supports the 4G network. If your phone doesn’t have 4G capabilities, upgrading your MTN sim card won’t enable 4G.
- Navigate to ‘Settings’ on your phone.
- Access the ‘Network and Internet’ tab.
2. Verify 4G Coverage: Confirm that the area you’re in has MTN 4G coverage. Not all locations may have 4G availability, so it’s essential to check this
Click on ‘Settings‘ from the menu, then click on the Network and Internet tab
3. Then click on Mobile Network
4. Tap on the preferred network
Also, before going to the store to purchase a phone, you can check to know if it is 4G-enabled by searching for the phone’s model specification on Google. Check to see if 4G is included as one of the supported networks.
How to check if your SIM card is 4G/LTE enabled
After confirming that your Mobile device is 4G-enabled, the next phase is to check if your sim card is 4G-enabled. The method of checking if your SIM Card supports the 4G network depends on the Network Provider.
Below is a list of the various ways to check on different internet providers.
- MTN Sim card: Send ‘4G‘ to 131 via SMS to confirm.
- Glo Sim Card: Text 4G to 400 and wait for feedback
- Airtel Sim Card: Dial *121# and select 4G services for Airtel subscribers.
- 9mobile SIM card: 9mobile subscribers need not check if their sim card is 4G-enabled. It is 4G enabled by default, provided that your Phone supports it and that you are in an area covered by 9mobile 4G network.
Steps to upgrade MTN Sim Card to 4G
Having confirmed that your phone supports the 4G LTE Network as listed previously, below are the steps to upgrade to the 4G network on MTN Network.
- Back up your contacts.
- Visit any MTN Service Centre nearest to you with a valid National ID.
- Request for a SIM upgrade
- Submit your old SIM
- Fill out the form given to you.
- You will be issued a new 4G enabled SIM.
- Insert the new SIM in your phone, restart and enjoy.
If you have any questions drop them in the comment section and we will attend to it.